- What does this policy cover?
This policy only applies to complaints about editorial content in our publications and the digital services that we control. It does not cover:
- complaints about advertising
- concerns about matters of taste/decency and due impartiality;
- complaints about ‘user generated content’ (i.e. material on our digital services that was not posted by us or on our behalf) which has not been reviewed or moderated;
We may not consider complaints:
- from any person who has not been personally and directly affected by the matter complained of;
- that are trivial, hypothetical or otherwise vexatious or insignificant;
- that are without justification (such as an attempt to argue a point of view or to lobby).
3. How to complain
You should email us with details of your complaint.
Complaints will be accepted up to one (1) month from the date of the behaviour(s) or first publication of the item(s) that you are complaining about.
Should the item remain accessible on our website or in another digital format after this time, we will accept complaints up to 6 months from the date of first publication provided that it is still possible to investigate the complaint fairly given the period of time that has elapsed.
Complaints must include:
- a link to the relevant webpage, if the complaint is about online material (or, if the item is in print, the publication title, date, page and headline);
- reference must be made as to the nature of your complaint;
any other documents that will help us assess your complaint.
- Complaints received without this information may not be considered.
We may seek further details after your initial contact. We reserve the right to reject, without further investigation, complaints that show no breach of our editorial guidelines.
4. What happens to your complaint?
We aim to acknowledge your complaint within 5 working days of receipt.
In making a complaint, you agree to respond promptly to any request for further information.
Our complaints process is free of charge, regardless of the outcome.
If we receive multiple complaints about the same issue we may make one response to all.
We will respond to all complaints within 28 days of receiving all the necessary information to allow us to investigate.
When handling your complaint we will treat you fairly, courteously and with respect. We may decline to consider any complaint that is abusive or gratuitously offensive.
If at any stage of your complaint we do not hear back from you within 14 days, we will consider your complaint satisfied and closed.